Actually I’ve been trying to answer that question since 1957. I have a master’s degree in counseling psychology, have worked with people in both groups and individually since the 80’s (oh.my.gawd.).
I’ve have spent oodles of time reading self-help books, going to therapy, groups, workshops, and various other forms of what we used to call “self-improvement/help” activities. Yet I am often left with more questions than answers.
One definitive answer I can give you is that I am a very experienced Beautiful Mess Inside™. Hell. I have so much experience that I trademarked the phrase!
Our beauty and mess go together. They are just parts of the human experience. While the messy parts can cause us great misery and unhappiness, the mess gives our lives texture, richness, and depth. It leave behind the gift of compassion.
I have a compelling desire to get the word out that being messy does not mean we are somehow different or less than other people. For me, life is best navigated while practicing Radical Self-Acceptance.
…Radical Self-Acceptance which means learning how to be comfortable in my more than middle aged skin, life, and mind.
I’m the most extroverted introvert I know. I can be brilliant, dark, and every shade in between. Sometimes I feel alone in a crowd and other times I am crowded when I am alone. Writing and clicking pics* help me stay connected, focused, and present.
- I’ve been married to The Man since 1986. We have been an “us” for so long that sometimes I forget how to be me. Frankly that sucks and it’s part of why I’m here doing this.
- I’m also an only child with no birth children of my own, but I have 4 bonus kids. My oldest step-daughter is five years younger than me (ooooops – we call it a “May-December” relationship.) The kids took the “go forth and multiply” thing very seriously! 14 times to be exact. Don’t ask me to list their ages (but I probably could.) Suffice it to say their ages span 17 years.
- There are also two dog babies in our clan. They are known as The Boogie Woogie Beagle Boyz. They are my muses.
- By day (well actually by night)
I’m a shrinkI spend my time teaching the things I most need to learn.
- But, right now I think my most important job is practicing Radical Self-Acceptance which means learning how to be comfortable in my more than middle aged skin, life, and mind.
If you are wondering about the etc, I’m also a..
- List Lover 😉
- Tarot Card Reader
- Wannabe iPhonographer
- Maybe Blogger
- Purple Hair Maven
- Women Who Went (kind of) Grey Gracefully
- Macaroni & Cheese Aficionado
- Apple Product Whore
- Comfortable Shoe Wearer
Quester SeekerLost Person
- Beagle Lover
- Yoga Pant Collector
- Occasional Good Cook (I only cook occasionally)